Saturday, April 26, 2008

This is Spring?


Winter returns to my corner of North Dakota.
In January, I posted a view of my street. Alas, today looks similar. In inches, 8.3 is the official weather bureau measure. The wind is blowing and flurries linger in the air. Road reports and announcements fill the radio airwaves. News reporters call in from their drive arounds. They see vehicles in ditch and snowplows struggling. Postponements and cancellations replace the music selections. City buses aren't running until 9 a.m. The Valley's Largest Rummage Sale will begin at 11 a.m. instead of 7 a.m. A mother-daughter luncheon is cancelled. And on and on.

Through my kitchen window, I watch my flag flap and snow sift over the rooftops. I'm waiting for the melt as I've retired my shovel for this year!

The ice clouds my front door's window; tulips huddle under their white blanket.


My horoscope advises enjoying some down time, taking the day off. Simon has the right idea. I think I'll join him.

No comments: